SAGE is celebrating Older Americans Month in May. Older adults play vital, positive roles in our communities – as family members, friends, mentors, volunteers, civic leaders, members of the workforce, and more. Just as every person is unique, so too is how they age and how they choose to do it – and there is no “right” way.
This year’s theme – AGE MY WAY– focuses on how older adults can age in their communities, living independently for as long as possible and participating in ways they choose.
While Age My Way will look different for each person, here are common things everyone can consider:
- Planning: Think about what you will need and want in the future, from home and community-based services to community activities that interest you.
- Engagement: Remain involved and contribute to your community through work, volunteer, and/or civic participation opportunities.
- Access: Make home improvements and modifications, use assistive technologies, and customize supports to help you better age in place.
- Connection: Maintain social activities and relationships to combat social isolation and stay connected to your community.
Diverse communities are strong communities. Ensuring that older adults remain involved and included in our communities for as long as possible benefits everyone.
Along with Home Care services and an onsite Adult Day Medical Program, SAGE offers Medicare counseling, the Your Decisions Matter program and Meals on Wheels, which delivered more than 100,000 meals to 202 seniors throughout the area during the past 2 years of the pandemic.
Throughout May, SAGE is hosting “Move in May”, a personal Walk-A-Thon. Members of the surrounding communities are invited to come together to support the nonprofit, which has been helping to improve the lives of older adults in Summit and the surrounding area for 68 years. The Top Ten Fundraisers (exceeding $500) will receive special honors with social media recognition, a certificate of accomplishment and an awards reception. All registered walkers are invited to a cupcake reception in June.
“We are excited to host Move in May this year,” said Galina Muller, Director of Finance and Administration. “Last year the event was supported by The Junior League and held virtually due to the pandemic. Our hope is that with the reduction in COVID cases, more members of the community will come out to participate in group activities.”
The best way to get motivated for physical activity is to find a partner to do it with. This video https://youtu.be/0i1lCNHaxhs provides tips to overcoming barriers to getting active. And if you’re too busy, this video https://youtu.be/61p1OIO20wk offers ways you can just build physical activity into your chores and errands.
To register to Move in May visit https://sageeldercare.networkforgood.com/projects/156055-move-in-may-for-sage.
Other events in May:
- May 1st from 8 AM – 1 PM, SAGE will have representatives at the Summit Farmer’s Market located at Park & Shop Lot #1 corner of DeForest Avenue and Woodland Avenue providing free information about eldercare and area services. Stop by to say hello.
- May 4th and May 11th from 10:00 – 11:30 AM Healthy Brain Aging & Dementia Prevention workshop by registration only.
- May 5th, May 10th, and May 25th at 10 AM SAGE will be hosting community walks at Briant Park (301 Shunpike Rd, Springfield, NJ 07081) weather permitting. No registration is required.
- May 9th at 2PM, the Honorable Nora Radest, Mayor of Summit, will visit SAGE to deliver a Mayoral Proclamation for Older Americans Month. The event is open to the public. The favor of a RSVP is appreciated. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10C0E4EA8A828A6F5C70-rsvp
- May 10th and May 24th from 1:00 – 2:30 PM SAGE will be hosting a BRING YOUR OWN CRAFT social. Members of the community are invited to gather and work on their personal arts and crafts while having refreshments. Summit Library, Hickok Room, first floor. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
- May 14th representatives from SAGE will be available at the Berkeley Heights Senior Health Fair.
- May 17th SAGE will be receiving the President’s Award at The Suburban Chamber of Commerce Annual Awards Dinner at Canoe Brook Country Club in Summit.
- May 18th from 2:00 – 3:30 PM Brandywine Assisted Living of Summit will present on transitioning to Assisted Living. Board Room at SAGE Eldercare, 290 Broad St in Summit. Open to the public.
- May 25th from 5:30 – 8:00 PM, SAGE will be hosting a donor reception by invitation only.